Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Yesterday I ate nothing but sandwiches

It all started around the time I woke up. I didn't feel like having cereal or anything and I remembered that there was a new dunkin donuts sandwich, the angus steak big and toasty. Hell yeah, I thought, new sandwich day. I picked one up at the DD by work, along with a medium black coffee, the guy at the counter also tossed in an order of their terribly hash browns, which are more like squashed, oniony tater tots. As usual the coffee was unsatisfying. The only reason I stop there is because it's the closest spot to the train station. The sandwich seemed like a pretty good size in the wrapper, which is always a good sign, but the whole thing cost me almost 7 bucks, which is ridiculous for a DD breakfast. I ate my sandwich outside of work while waiting for my boss to show up. It looked pretty close to the commercials, a pleasent surprise, althought I suspect that the thick bread provived a lot of cushioning and thus protection. At some point in time the meat industry (The Meat Lords?) decided to lower the bar on what could be called angus steak or something because there's a lot more "angus" than there used to be floating around. The main impression I got from the sandwich was that it was very dry, not just the bread, but the meat and the egg, not enough cheese. The main ingredient was bread. It did fill me up alright, but if I'm going to eat a "steak" "egg" and "cheese" sandwich I'm going to stick with the egg, steak, and cheese bagel from mcdonalds, it's the best thing on their menu. I'm going to give it a MEH, and rate that DD as "Well , they got solids to eat and somewhat caffeinated liquids to drink."
image
This is the Angus that should be more widely distributed

For lunch I had a ham sandwich from Jimmy Johns. They made it fast, I ate it fast. It was okay, nothing really outstanding, nor were there any glaring deficiencies, save for the blandness. Sometimes JJ's sandwiches are pretty good, but this one rates more of a "an edible, suitable for lunch, maybe a lame dinner."

Before I got home I stopped by a nearby grocery store to pick up some beers. I also decided to get bread because the only bread at the crib was lame Bimbo bread like food object. If it wasn't for bread we'd be eating meat and vegetables out of our hands, like savages, and they wouldn't be call sandwiches, they'd be like hand food or something stupid. I also ended up getting a lb of the Jerk Turkey by Boar's Head and some of their american cheese, along with some good deli mustard. Of course Boar's Head stuff is up there, but man o man, it's fucking good! One of my favorite sandwich shops, New York Deli, by Wellington and Clark, uses only their stuff so that's how I got hip to it. At home I had an avocado that was just ready to go, so I put some mustard on both slices, piled it up with the Jerk Turkey, which is nice and spicy!, then some avocado slices, topped off with the cheese and of course the other slice of bread. Now that, that was a sandwich! The bread I got some some local made italian bread, with the nice thick crust and everything. It would've been better if I had put it on a pan for a bit, but it was too hot to cook even that, maybe it would've complicated things and thrown off the delicate sandwichness of the whole thing. I'm just gonna go ahead and say that "You know I make some bomb sandwiches, so of course this one was the best one."

No comments: