Friday, September 06, 2013

Ride the Wind


Cry Tough

My first favorite band was Poison. I’m not even kidding. My uncle introduced me to them when I first moved to Chicago, I must have been like 6 or 7 and he was taking care of me for the day and he was just listening to Poison and somehow I decided that THIS was music. He didn't play anything from Look What the Cat Dragged in but he did play Open Up and Say ...Ahh! and Flesh and Blood, and I was hooked. One of my favorite songs was Ride the Wind



I was a little kid and I was loving this shit! I loved this song because of the lines "Of the truths and lies and stories of riders in the skies/only the bravest try where eagles and angels dare to fly." That was so cool! Imagines of chromed warrriors screaming across the the bluesest sky filled my mind, the fact that I remeber that is saying a lot because I can't even remember my own phone number. Eventually I heard more bands and I pretty much refused any belief in "Hair Metal" of any sorts.


NOTHIN BUT A GOOD TIME

Until I was like 16. Nothing but a Good Time came on the Loop and I was feeling sorta down, riding the train at night after working all saturday. There's gotta be a word for riding the train on a dreary winter night, it's probably in german. When Brett Michaels goes "WOO," I thought,  "yeah... YEAH. All I want is a good time! Is that too much to ask? THAT'S ALL I'M LOOKING FOR." So of course I was smiling like a goon for almost 4 minutes.

I've seen Poison once, opening for Kiss, which is ridiculous because at some point some rocker would've died to see that. I thought it was okay, but I was at that point where I was still denying that part of me that dug that kind of shit, even though I was at my second Kiss show (and last Kiss show). Looking back on it, they were way too quiet. I probably still sung along to Talk Dirty to Me, just how I did right before I put it on before leaving work today. Of course I probably sung it louder today.


CC, pick up that guitar anda talk to me!

Poison, being my first favorite band, lead a path to my second favorite band of all time, Metallica. They had the same elements, guitars, drums, bass, riffs, rock and roll! But Metallica wasn't shiny and Metallica may have potentially ruined my life.

No comments: