Monday, November 26, 2012

you don't even have to be "good" you just gotta rock and be loud when you do it

Last night I got to the Metro right after watching Bob's Burgers at the Gingerman, which is probably the best bar to kill time in before heading into the Metro. Of course the best way to go into the Metro is with a slight buzz, so I had a couple of beers: Krankshaft by Metropolitan brewing, which was crisp and citrusy, almost orangey, which provided a great contrast to Eugene Porter by Revolution Brewing I had just before that, dark and delicious, like a Guiness but not as foamy. Whatever. Here's my stance on beer: drink beer. Anyway I when I walked into the Metro I got a drink and went upstairs to sit on the couch, hate everything, and feel a little nostalgic (there has to be a word that combines both, I bet it's either german or japanese). I was sitting there when I noticed that the Coffin Pricks were playing and rocking so I went downstairs to check them out. The Coffin Pricks would be a perfect band to catch at the Mutiny on accident. They blasted through some too quiet, jagged, nervous rock that warmed up the crowd pretty alright. T.C.P. play the kind of music that would be great to have an argument to and then storm out of the room into the cold, cold night. They have the worst band name of the night.

After their set I went to get another drink and the cuter bartender laughed when I ordered "a cheap whiskey and coke." And then I laughed. It was a very grand time. This was my second time seeing Ceremony and I was looking forward to it because they are rockers. They came on stage and proceeded to rock, but something was amiss! And it wasn't that they were too quiet. Of course they played solid as hell, tight like as a fucking snaredrum, anyone who has ever said "I want to play rock music" would be jealous of their set, but goddamn they sounded clean, too clean, I wondered if their distortion pedals were broken. Even during old songs like Throwing Bricks they weren't all "RAAGRGH." Last time I saw them was at Subterrenean, it was insane, of course they were playing between The Ropes and fucking Raw Nerve. It was still really interesting hearing their set because even though it was clean it was like looking at an x ray of their music and their tunes have a skeleton made outta steel. They did a really cool Police cover, which is something I never thought I would say. Despite the lack of volume and distortion, Ceremony were still all like "RAARGH" (there's a difference). Good times. Also they get best band name of the night, why? Simplicity. The guitarist also gets best haircut of the night award.


Titus Andronicus played last. I was dismayed. How can a band with 3 (three) guitarist be so damn quiet? Damnit, rock bands, play loud! I ask very few things from you and one is to be fucking loud (the other is to rock, you don't even have to be "good" you just gotta rock and be loud when you do it). Damn you, Titus Andronicus, you have THREE GUITAR PLAYERS ON STAGE. Okay, okay cool, whatever. I like Titus Andronicus because they play good rock tunes that are perfect for driving long distances, road trip rock is what they play. There were way too many people wearing glasses at the show, it was like a fucking anime convention, so I was pretty surprised when the crowd when nuts. It was pretty cool how much people were into it, but I'm not a huge fan of the band so it almost felt like I was intruding. So after a few songs I got out of the main mayhem and chillled back admiring it all, but it wasn't as nearly as fun. It was like if you go to catholic mass for years and then you go to a baptist mass, same basic idea right, but totally different. They were pretty good, but I was feeling like an interloper and didn't stay for the whole set because I probably would've gotten real sad or something, ha ha ha. Titus Andronicus also plays good rock to walk out of the building into night to.


Recently it seems like the only times I have had actual fun at the Metro is when I'm not by myself.

Of course I should be at the show at the Empty Bottle to catch King Khan and BBQ Show, because that won't bum me out and it'll be LOUD. But I am tired and cold and after suddenly so down that my only solace right now is either sleep or violent video games. I don't know. I will try to muster up the drive to get down there, but deep down I know that it will end in vain, for pre sale tickets were already sold out and it was even in the paper today, which is weird. Um... I dozed off while doing this thing too. Not a good sign. I am defeated, crushed by the cold cruel night despite my pledges of allegiance.

Did I tell you that the Red Fang/Black Tusk show was sold out? OH THE HEARTBREAK. WHAT WOE. WHAT WOE.

WHAT WOE. WHAT WOE.

No comments: