Friday, September 28, 2012

WARDANCE

After work last night I didn't really feel like going home only to end up reading the gloomy postapocalyptic novel I'm reading or playing gloomy postapocalyptic video games or being left to my own devices. Have you ever been left to your own devices? It is terrible. Even though I had a dream about a clown magic (not clown performing magic, clown magic) with a heavy soundtrack in a theater/bar  that smelled like hot dogs, only to wake up with the address 1557 Dayton stuck in my head like a kernel of overcooked rice stuck to a pot, I was in really good mood all day long and didn't want to ruin it, so what better way to extend it than by going to an old school heavy metal show. And you really can't get any more old school than Death Angel, Testament, and Anthrax. Hail fuckin' satan.

I got off at the train and went to check if there were still tickets available, which they were. It was 30 bones, but you know I can spend more money on drinks alone somewhere else. I figured there were no bands coming on until at least 8 PM so I went over to Kickstand to kill some time and get nice and caffeinated while reading the onion and watching Belmont ave, which is always a good time. I like that place. Shortly before 8 I headed over to the Vic and while I was standing in line to get a ticket I saw Thatcher, who is a big viking looking motherfucker, cool guy. I said hi and he told me that I had just missed Death Angel and that they ruled. At this rate I will never get to watch those guys.



Thrashers by Death Angel

Ah well. But I got there in time to see most of the excitement of Testament setting up. I've never been a big fan of Testament and last night didn't turn me into the fan either, but they had their moments and how! It was like being hit with a blunt instrument. During Into the Pit there was some feedback or something in one of the opening riffs which was beautiful. They were nice and loud but a little boring at times. Of course they had some good songs and the crowd was really into them, the stand out of their set being the aforementioned Into the Pit, when a million people jumped into the pit. No one saw that coming.



Into the Pit by Testament

If Testament was like being hit with a club then Anthrax was like being hit with a hatchet. They fucking rocked! Loud as all hell but super clean. During Indians they stopped the show because something along of the lines of everyone not moshing hard enough during the mosh part. So they picked up the song right before when it goes "WARDANCE" and all of the Vic erupted into a big ass moshpit. I wasn't all the way up front but I was on the tier behind that and some old school mothefucker decided to start moshing and well what are you gonna do? Mosh I guess. I didn't get into the main pit because I had my bag with me even though I really wanted to. I should have. I SHOULD HAVE. The enthusiasm for Testament was only half of what Anthrax managed to pull off from a 100s of rowdy metal heads, how fucking cool! Everyone was chanting along and generally carrying on like a bunch of heathens. They sounded fucking awesome, it was loud, loud, gloriously loud, as heavy metal should be. Good times!



I Am the Law by Anthrax.

After the show I went to to the L & L to have a couple of drinks. Anyway. Here's what I got from the show: 1. I should drink more caffeinated drinks before metal shows. If there's any better drinks than ones pack with caffeine that go with metal it's because they have alchohol in them. Maybe blood. 2. There are a lot more kids at shows nowadays. I'm not saying like teenagers or some shit, but little kids, around 10 years old or so. It's cause of their parents, but it's not like the parents are dragging them to the show as the kids seem pretty into it themselves. I know that if I ever have kids that I would take them to metal shows instead of something lame like church. 3. Anthrax is really good live.

Right now I'm reading This Dark Earth by James Hornor Jacobs, it's super bleak and chock full of zombies and mayhem. Good stuff, but I'm also playing Fallout 3 and all of this post apocalyptic scenarios are starting to get me down.

No comments: