Thursday, March 22, 2012

theory sounds cooler


In the City by The Jam

Oh my dusty blog. How dusty thou are. It's not like I have anything to say, but when has that stopped me? Exactly.

I am going to take a gamble and hope that I get a ticket at the door for Andrew WK this sunday. I will try. At worst I will end up not spending 25 bucks.

I'm listening to a pretty kick ass mixtape (playlist) by way of Suicide Watch over on ye olde tumblr. The song featured at the top of this post isn't featured on the mixtape, but I still like it. A few weeks ago I heard it at the bookstore on Clark, the one south of the Metro. It struck me as a great song to hear while killing some time.

I just finished reading Snow Crash by Neal Stepheson. Part of the reason I picked that up was because all of his other stuff is intimidatingly tomeish, the other part is because I have been thinking about cyber punk for the last few weeks. It all started off with watching Johnny Mnemonic, which is a really cool movie based on a great story by William Gibson. Next time we hang out ask me to tell you about my Keanu Reeves theory. Actually it's more of a hypothesis, but theory sounds cooler. Gravity is just a theory. Snow Crash is about... a lot of things. It's packed with lots of stuff, but there are sword fights, hacking, dystopian neon future, rock and roll, virtual reality, and it's damn fun.

In an attempt to do something I have signed up for Script Frenzy, also because I like to torment myself with ridiculous things. I fucking know! Madness! Now that I'm actually typing it out the actual dread comes seeping out of the back of my brain and begins oozing forward. I was thinking about doing a bunch of short preposterous plays, but I don't read plays, I don't even go to plays. I did see The Crucible many moons ago. I do like movies. I watch a lot of movies. Every once in a while I read a script. So I decided to try to do a screenplay. What other genre other than action could I pick? Everyone knows the hardest part about coming up with a movie is the title. You can't have something too subtle or it'll get ignored, and you can't have something too ostentatious because it will not live up to its title. I want to call it Saint of Killers, but that's a character in the Preacher comics. Santo de Matadores? Nah, that sounds like it'll be very luchador based, plus it'll be yoked with the association of El Santo.

Talking about movies. I saw a great trailer a few weeks ago. I'm not sure where... BUT! It was an asian movie, not a martial arts or a crime flick, which I hold dear, but a low key thing. Time for love? A Season for Love? something with love in the title. The trailer was kick ass. I like it just because of that.

No comments: