Tuesday, October 01, 2013

I went with the beer

Here's a couple songs I am digging right now.


El Asesino by Juan Cirerol. It's about murder and heartbreak, either of which are fine for a country song.


Some Things Cosmic by Angel Olsen. This one was filmed at the Pitchfork fest, which I didn't go to because there was like 2 bands I actually liked playing. One of them was Trash Talk who I saw last week.

FUCKING YEAH. After much debate, well a pro/con list hastily scrawled out in a notebook, I decided to go see Trash Talk at Township. I was sorta worried that the show would be sold out by the time I got there, but there were tickets at the door, which is always cool. I got there in time to see SVLPHVRS set up and play some badass metal, sometimes thrash, sometimes bad trip stoner metal. Like half the band is in Yakuza so of course they were solid as fuck. I hung out with Sharkula as they played, but he left half way through their set. "Blood, sweat, and tears are going into that music," he told me, actually yelled at me.

The second band I saw was... I don't remember, they were a crew of guys with sharp haircuts. I stood there for a song and decided to hang out at the front bar/food area while they warmed up and got better, which they didn't. They played some sort of technical metal or some crazy thing. I considered getting a hamburger but that cost 10 bucks more or less, so it came down to either having that or drinking 5 more Old Milwuakees. I went with the beer. While I was sitting there a dude sat down next to me and said hello, I said hello back, which is common among people. He said, "You look like you go to a lot of Trash Talk shows." I laughed and said, "I will take that as a compliment." We talked a bit and then he said I looked familiar, and come to think of it so did he. We came to the realization that we had met at Delilah's, dude works there, I drink there. A HA.  We talked bout Riotfest for a while before we wandered off in our separate directions.

Sweet Cobra was the penultimate band. They always sound like the kind of music that would be perfect to drive across a desert at a very high speed to, even though they don't play really fast. Those guys never dissapoint, but hail fucking satan, they sounded good at this show. I bet they had the pretty boy band really glad that they didn't have to follow them. Good whiskey drinking music.


Awake ep by Trash Talk
The smell of weed was so strong in the air that those of a less hearty constition/hadn't been drinking whiskey and beer all night were probably getting contact highs, Trash Talk was about to come on. I knew it was an all ages show coming in, so I was wondering where all the kids where, but when T.T. started up they all flooded into the room like some kind of fucked up moshing tsunami. MAN OH MAN Trash Talked played fast as hell, barely stopping to breath, they reminded me of Municipal Waste but tighter! I knew I had to go to work in the morning, but fuck that! There was this awesome band just fucking everything up, and everyone thrashing around like fucking maniacs. A dude landed on me pretty hard, but it was okay, this wasn't the opera or anything. Monday night metal mayhem. I highly recomned seeing these cats.

After Thrash Talk's set I went to buy a t shirt from Sweet Cobra and pick up a T.T. cd or something. T.T. was set up outside, selling stuff from a van not more than 50 ft from a police station. They didn't have any CDs and t shirts and hats were too rich for my blood. I know they're on tour but I gotta get solids to eat and liquids to drink. Ah well. I went to the blue line and took a leak off the platform, not quite regretting getting beers instead of food. I sat down next to some guy and we nodded at each other. I asked him if he went to the show and he was all "Hell yeah!" Dude turned out to be super chill. He was he was here from Prague on his honeymoon ("uh... where's your wife?" "at the hotel") We ended up drinking those big "Okays" at Alice's on Belmont, despite my intention to go to Late Bar, which was closed, woops. But it was still a good time, even though it gets really blurry at that point. Ha. Dude has a cool blog here. Man, how nerdy is that? Exchanging blog addresses.

Last saturday I went to Delilah's after work to get a chill beer, but there was some crazy Oktoberfest thing going on. Nonetheless, I saw the other guy from the show and he showed me a recently healed wound that cleaved his eyebrow in half. Good times, we both said.

I MIGHT GO SEE GUITAR WOLF ON FRIDAY. I HAVENT DECIDED YET. HAWKWIND SOON.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree with almost everything, except:
- the trash talk gig was too short to be really honest
- I come from Oporto, not Prague.
Nice blog, I like the writing.