Tuesday, October 09, 2012

How does a robot smile?

For the last 2 weeks one of my coworkers has been saying he was going to let me borrow a book, The Invetion of the Americas. I asked him what it was about, he said, "Philosophy." "Ah. I'm not a philosophical guy." "No, you are. Whenever you ask 'why?' you're being philosophical and you tend to make fun of the system, that's philosophy!" "Okay, so what's the book about." Then he went on and on for a while when I was working on a good twitter joke that fell kinda flat I think, but that's something else entirely. Eventually I said, "Look man, just bring it, I will give it a shot." I am after all trying to read more non fiction. "Alright!" He brought me the book today. I went to the library to get the book because dude gave it to me in a weird format, photocopied pages in a spring binding. Of course they had the book in the library but only in annoying hardback, so I decided to stick with the copy I had. While there I decided to look around and I ended up getting books that I find much more interesting than The Invention of the Americas: Eclipse of "the Other" and the Myth of Modernity by Enrigue Dussel, translated by Micheal D. Barber, dear god why. Look I'm not saying that it's bad but I would never go, hey I want to read this. You know what I got at the library, perfectly bound, with fantastic design and in paperback? The Scud omnibus. It's much thicker than T.I.o.t.A. but it's much, much more appealing to me. Random sentence from The Invention of the Americas: Habermas, whose Eurocentrism resembles O'Gorman's, Suggests an intra-European definition of modernity which commences with the Renaissance and the Reformation and culminates in the Aufklarung. Sometimes I go a whole day without speaking so many goddamn syllables. Random sentence from Scud: I'M JESUS WITH A LASER GUN AND YOU'RE ALL GOING TO HELL! And you're not even getting the whole image because it's a comic book. So it's a smiling robot wielding a laser gun, dressed like Jesus, wearing a crown of barbed wire. How does a robot smile? When the robot paints a smile on its face with the blood of their foes. Look. I will try to read the damn book about... what the fuck is that book about? But it has to compete with a comic book about a robot assasin (!), who works for a cyborg (cyborgs!) mafia, and they have to fight an army of zombie (i love zombies) dinosaurs (i love dinosaurs!) controlled by a technovoodoo Ben Franklin (dear god). While at the library I read a wonderful adaption of the story of how Coyote is responsible for the night sky. I also read a large portion of Mark Smith's (of Bone) version of Captain Marvel, you should read that. Smith's art is the perfect fit for Captain Marvel, big and bold and wonderful Basically: comic books are the best.

No comments: